2012 Hessel International Jamboree

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving!

As I think over the past year, and all the blessings that Boy Scout Troop 1 has to be thankful for, one blessing comes to mind in every activity that I remember. That is the dedication and volunteer spirit of our leaders and parents. Each camping trip is planned, driven, and chaperoned by caring parents and leaders. Every day outing, every service project, each meeting, each group merit badge class, each fundraiser, etc has someone behind the details. Every time I look around, I see jobs getting done that I might have forgotten or didn't have time to do. Someone always has my back! I'm grateful to every leader and parent who give up time with their family to give to the scout family. I'm thankful to the leaders and parents who supported scouting in the past and still come around occasionally to help out even though their scout is full grown. Our scouts benefit from the talents and personalities of the different leaders and parents that give their time.

I spoke to a young scout yesterday about service time. He had volunteered at the Cub Scout Open house, but said his time didn't count because he didn't work, he only played with the cub scouts. He was surprised to hear that the time he spent play and entertaining the scouts is service time! Just being there with a friendly face and a smile is sometimes all the encouragement that a young scout needs to succeed. Look at the smiles on our scout's faces and know that you played a role in that happiness.

Thank you all again for the excellent work that you did at the Kiwanis Open House. I saw all the nice things that you did that evening to help the scouts host a great evening for the Kiwanis Club. Today I will think of you all when I count my blessings.

Yours in Scouting,
Julia Bushong, Scoutmaster