2012 Hessel International Jamboree

Friday, November 03, 2017

Service Projects

Service Projects (Service Time)
I had some questions about what counts as service time, and some instances where the service is completed before having the scoutmaster approve it.  I'm not so strict on the approval process as long as it's a known service time that we normally approve.  If anyone finds more comprehensive information for me to read, please feel free to post in the comments. 

This is what I found: 
This link indicates the ranks and the Service Projects required. 

This link is Journey to Excellence and it gives some examples of Service Projects. 

Typical Service time projects that boys in Troop 1 do are marching in parades, work projects such as raking, trail cleanup, collecting specimens at Jordon Fish Hatchery etc., helping out at the food pantry, helping out the cub scouts pinewood derby and at meetings or camping, helping at the county park Halloween weekends, Scout Sunday, helping at a pancake breakfast and so forth.  


You don't need permission from me to earn service time if you are showing up at a scout related activity.  It is probably good to run your service idea past me before you do it so that you can be assured that it would count as a Service Project (service time). But I rarely turn down service time hours, because most of the time they are appropriate.